Friday, March 28, 2008

Ok, what is this?

Yea yea, here comes another soccer blog, right?

well, yea.. pretty much.

Last year I tried making a website dedicated towards MLS stats and analysis that largely consisted to uploading an HTML version of a microsoft excel spreadsheet onto an online file server. It sorta worked, but midsummer I moved, I switched computers, upgraded to Office 2007 (which it turns out actually lost most of its HTML functionality), had other things going on in my life, and eventually had my account at school that I uploaded files to closed down because I had graduated.... so that whole experiment was a mixed bag.

This year I decided to try it again, except this time, do it in blog format... once I started toying around with Google Documents, I found out I should be able to put up the same amount of information (tables, charts, etc) in a much smoother format... and thats what I hope to do here.

Information should be added to this site over the coming weeks and months as the MLS season progresses (and I have more data points) and as I have time to add it.

So what exactly do I hope to accomplish with this "blog"?

In essence, this blog is targeted heavily towards posting stats and analysis of Major League Soccer and the United States Men's Soccer program. Secondary purposes would be covering domestic American (and to some small amount Canadian) club soccer, and a detailed global breakdown of 2010 World Cup qualifying. In addition, I will post information on various other global and regional tournaments such as the 2008 Olympics, Euro 2008, CONCACAF Champions League, the US Open Cup, and so on.

Hopefully this will be a place to answer questions such as:
- What would the playoffs look like if the season ended today?
- How is MLS attendance progressing compared to 2007, or previous seasons?
- Who is leading MLS in scoring?
- What team is producing the most shots on goal? what team the least?
- Who has been scoring goals for the US National Team? What players are in the MNT player pool?
- What is the upcoming schedule for MLS, or the US National teams, or the USL
- What channel will the game on in the United States?
- and so on...

This isn't meant to be a competitor to MLSRumors... or a place for high quality soccer commentary and columns (although you might have to sift through some of my rantings). My main goal is to put out information that may not be easy to find or readily available online.

So anyways, feel free to leave any comments. IF you are wondering how often you can expect this page to be updated... there is no good answer. If I am at home watching games, MLS standings could be updated within minutes of the final whistle.... if I'm not (or I am at a game), it might be a day or two. USL standings and other competitions should be updated every week or so.

So feel free to leave comments or suggestions... and I hope you find this site useful.

if not, oh well... this is meant to be just as much for myself to keep information handy as it is to put it out there for others to access...

1 comment:

Son_Of_Sac said...

What's up homie? Nice site. I will definitely link it to my blog as well. Return the favor?

www.SacUnitedSoccer.blogspot.com